Upcycle Holiday Tree Contest @ the Junction
We're Now Accepting Artist Applications
Create a Winter Holiday Tree
for the Flatbush Junction Community using
recycled and repurposed materials.
The tree aims to encourage visitors to the area during the winter holiday period and highlight the BIDs support for sustainability and environmentally conscious public art.
In 2019, the Flatbush Junction BID commissioned the Upcycle Junction market at Hillel Plaza. The market was Brooklyn’s first and only upcycle craft market for unique jewelry, paintings, sculpture and textile products made exclusively from reclaimed materials.
How It Works
- It is important to note that the structure will be left unsupervised in the public realm, so the safety and security of the tree is of paramount importance.
- The winner will be selected by a team comprised of the BID’s board of directors and Friends of the Junction steering group.
- The materials can be recycled or upcycled in a manner of ways – at the discretion of the artist.
- The design concept is for the artist to decide on, as long as the tree is created using upcycled/recycled materials.
- As a member of Materials for the Arts (MFTA), participating artists can use this access to obtain free reuse materials to build the holiday tree.
As the tree will be located at Hillel Plaza, a public space it must be a robust structure that can withstand winter weather.
Sufficient structural analysis must be undertaken to ensure the structure is safe and sturdy.
Location, Transport, Installation & Maintenance
A licensed structural engineer and NYFD official will have to sign off the structure and adequate design and structural analysis plans must be provided to achieve this.
There will be electrical access for the structure from a donated solar panel.
“Upcycled Christmas Tree to Bring Joy and Inspiration to Flatbush This Holiday Season”
The tree will be installed at Flatbush Junction’s Hillel Plaza.
The BID and its supplementary sanitation team will regularly check the tree once it is installed.
Transportation and installation will be the responsibility of the artist.
Stay in Touch
The artist will need to respond as soon as possible if any action is required.
The prize receipt fee for the winner outlined above is $4,000. This includes all materials and associated costs for the provision of the work. This will be paid as detailed below: